Ops Factor is specialised in human centred design. With a toolbox for project teams we offer a multi-disciplinary design approach, connecting operations and different project disciplines. We work pragmatic with clear goals and defined steps using serious gaming and mixed reality to make it accessible and fun to play. We can assist you with:
- Functional design specifications and procurement
- Desk analysis and mock-up testing
- Gap & cost benefit analysis
- Design validation
- Innovative design solutions
- HMI design concept
Our Remote Control Station can accommodate a variety of displays (differentiation in number and size), controllers, communication equipment, hard switches and other devices. We can help you tailor the desk to ensure a workstation that will be fit for the job.
With our scrum based design approach we will connect relevant contractors, IT specialists and (future) operators to define details like:
- Number and size of displays (related to HMI interface and camera images)
- Single or double tier configuration
- Overview display
- Type and position of controllers and other switches or indicators
- Position and type of communication equipment
To support the decision process we can offer a test environment where operators can experience the impact of the different design options and can define the best switch and equipment position, preferred controllers display configuration.
Our consultants will ensure a final desk design that meets critical ergonomic requirements regarding sight lines, reaching zones, sitting position and arm-hand support, viewing distances in relation to image size and HMI design and according ISO 11064-4.
With our design validation approach we offer a structured assessment of the differences between the operational ambition e.g. task allocation and workflow) and the design of the integrated operation centre (e.g. actual walking routes, communication lines and lines of sight).
Our approach is based on ISO 11064-7:2006; Ergonomic design of control centres — Part 7: Principles for the evaluation of control centres. And follows the following steps:
- Desk study
- Strategic management session
- Gemba (work for observations)
- Gap analysis
- Impact analysis
- Cost – benefit analysis
- Advice report with practical improvements (3D visualisations and control room innovative solutions)
HMI design concept
The way data is presented on the screen affects critical operational variables like response time, cycle time and human error risks. And interface design determines to a large extent the number of screens that are required to perform operational jobs safely and effectively.
Most automation or remote control projects focus on equipment, resulting in a one to one digitisation of equipment operation. There is a lot to win if we manage to shift the design focus from equipment to operational process. If automation teams manage to do so, data will become information and operations will be more in control.
Our consultants can help you with the usability of your interface. With our human centred design approach, we help you designing an interface that provides operators and planners to go from overview to understanding, from controlling to anticipating and from reactive to proactive operations. This will increase the output, quality, reliability and safety of your operation.
Our goals are to help you with
- Integrating data
- Providing operators with critical information in one view (according ISO 9241)
- Reducing the number of CCTV images, preventing data overkill
- Delivering a Style Guide and Functional design for procurement and detailed design